these easy chicken parmesan stuffed peppers come together quickly then bake in the oven for a delicious twist on a classic everyone will love!
Guys, these are every bit as good as they sound! They’re SUCH a fun twist on regular old chicken parm (which makes an appearance in our house at least once every two weeks!).
Not only is it a great way to sneak some veggies into family dinner, but I swear to you the pepper flavor truly enhances the overall dish x1000.
You can also totally modify them to fit whatever your preferences are. If you don’t like breaded chicken, use whatever your favorite is! If you’re not a meat eater at all, you can swap crumbled tofu or eggplant and still get all the classic flavors you love!
Everything comes together quickly but these do have to bake for a bit and you do have to cook the chicken prior to throwing it into the pepper. I actually made these on a Sunday and we ate them on a Tuesday and they held up really well!
- 1 8oz. block mozzarella cheese, finely shredded (don’t buy pre-shredded, buy a block and shred your own for maximum melting ability)
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 10 oz. package frozen breaded chicken, cooked according to package instructions and diced (you can also make your own or use unbreaded diced chicken)
- 4 bell peppers, tops & seeds removed
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400º F and spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3rds of the mozzarella, 1/3 cup parmesan, garlic, shallot, marinara, basil and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper as desired then toss to combine. Gently fold in chicken.
- Spoon mixture into bell peppers and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Pour broth into baking dish (to help the peppers steam) and cover with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender (~55 minutes to 1 hour). Uncover, place the oven on broil and cook for 2 more minutes (or until cheese is browned & bubbly).
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and more Parmesan before serving.