For the Beef Stew:
- 1.5 pounds (680g) stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
For the Bread Bowls:
- 4 round bread loaves (such as sourdough or Italian)
- Butter for brushing (optional)
- While the stew is simmering, prepare the bread bowls. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut a circular opening from the top of each bread loaf and remove the inner bread, leaving about a 1/2-inch thick bread shell.
- Optional: Brush the inside of each bread bowl with melted butter and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes or until the insides are lightly toasted. This step helps keep the bread from getting too soggy from the stew.
- Ladle the hot beef stew into each bread bowl.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and flavor.
- Serve the beef stew in a bread bowl while it’s hot and enjoy your hearty and comforting meal!
This Beef Stew in a Bread Bowl is perfect for a cozy dinner or a special occasion. The combination of tender beef, savory vegetables, and the rustic bread bowl makes it a delightful and filling dish.